Re: LYNX-DEV v2.7 bug fix update

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV v2.7 bug fix update
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 21:53:05 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
> >     An update of 27bugfixes.zip is available in:
> >
> >     http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/
> >
> > 1997-03-13
> > * Added protection in LYGetFile.c against connections to the port 25
> >   ESMTP service. - FM
>
> Oops!  Forget ftp.  Anyhow, 0-20 and 22-69?  (No direct Telnet allowed,
> right?)

25 is not ftp.

Let's not get overboard.  I mean, there is nothing preventing me from
providing (for example) a HTTP service on an unassigned port in that
range, say on a LAN.  Should Lynx then refuse to access that?

Not all ports below 70 are assigned, and not all of those assigned are
"dangerous" services.  OTOH any other port in the whole possible
range could also have potentially a service behind it that could give uhm
unexpected results when a HTTP(or ftp, gopher,..) client connects to it.

   Klaus

;
;