Re: LYNX-DEV v2.7 bug fix update

From: Doug Lawson
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV v2.7 bug fix update
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 01:57:24 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
> >
> > >   An update of 27bugfixes.zip is available in:
> > >
> > >   http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/
> > >
> > > 1997-03-13
> > > * Added protection in LYGetFile.c against connections to the port 25
> > >   ESMTP service. - FM
> >
> > Oops!  Forget ftp.  Anyhow, 0-20 and 22-69?  (No direct Telnet allowed,
> > right?)
>
> 25 is not ftp.
>
> Let's not get overboard.  I mean, there is nothing preventing me from
> providing (for example) a HTTP service on an unassigned port in that
> range, say on a LAN.  Should Lynx then refuse to access that?

Yes.

If someone is  going to assign a well-known port (25 is used for SMTP)
to an http server, they probably don't have a very good idea what they are
doing, and connecting to that service is potentially dangerous.

Also, if some misguided web author puts in a link to a well-known port, do
you really want lynx accessing it, just because some web author thinks
it's a good idea ?

Doug Lawson

;
;