Re: LYNX-DEV New development code

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV New development code
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 06:47:04 -0500 (EST)

> > The ncurses binaries I have compiled from that code ingnore the background
> > color (both before and after the last changes from Tom).  Or rather, they
> > take the background from COLOR:0 everywhere.  (TERM is linux, using the
> > same binary terminfo file on both sun4 and linux with same effect.)
> > Does anybody else observe this?
I used the scheme that slang implements (there are better ways of doing it, and
I'm sure that RP's working on something better, but I'm a little tired of
reading that slang implements things like that because it's not possible to do
so with curses).  On my machine, the colors look the same (for the tests I'm
running, anyway).

> I thought Tom had said that this was part of ncurses and svr4 curses that
> they only had 8 colors, and slang pushed the package to 16, and that was
> what the fix was for.  Is so, it would only affect slang binaries and not
> ncurses.
not exactly (I can see I'll have to make an FAQ).  8 colors are standard,
because outside of the IBM PC, that's the common denominator.
(slang uses the bold flag to get 16).

> Just out of curiosity, do these patches also give color on svr4 curses?
I believe so.  I'll do some testing on that the next pass (now that I've
got some hardware set up for it).  Higher on my list: consolidate makefile
targets for SCO, CLIX.

> Was the info I sent on HP's color curses helpful, and is there a way to
> build a color binary (or attempt to do so) on HP-UX?  I haven't had a
it _should_ be mostly a matter of checking the library & header paths.
(and as I've pointed out, you should be able to do this by setting CFLAGS
and LIBS before the configure).

btw: HP's choice of library name for -lcur_colr doesn't follow X/Open or SVr4
which they claim to do (but then HP's not very good at following standards).

> chance to try the code yet... :(  Too many tests and programs due (and
> running late on all of them... sigh).  Maybe next week during Spring
> Break. :)
I've only got HP-UX 9.x; the "color curses" is introduced in 10.x.  So I
can't test it myself.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden