Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx wrongly blamed

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx wrongly blamed
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 11:27:38 -0500 (EST)

  > Kate North to Philip Webb 970314:
  > >
  > > The reason you are experiencing this problem is not an html error, but
  > > The <center> command which appears directly below this is to centre
  > > the table that follows, and does not affect the text in the table
  > > itself.

  [Wayne Buttles:]
  She is right on that one, but for us to support it we would have to go
  left adj when each <TABLE> was hit and remember if we were centered or
  right adj when we hit each </TABLE>.  We are not set up for that at the
  moment.

Rob, you have been touching on object classes and heredity in
your styles work.  Is that work going to generate progress on
this problem?  Is it a feasible approach to objectifying <TABLE>s
to the point that this <CENTER> is understood not to inherit to
text within the <TABLE> but still applies after the </TABLE>
until further notice?  Do we need to go on a jihad against
<CENTER> and campaign for an appropriate use of the ALIGN=
attribute on the <TABLE> element or some container wrapping it?

All I have heard on this is "If we had only had OBJECTs it could
have been made to work."  I don't know that that game is lost,
yet.  The constructs may not be called OBJECT but reforms that
will help Lynx deal, here, are not politically out of the
question if we connect with others such as speech users who need
better semantic-structure markup _in spades_.

The W3.org crowd is making a big thing of accessibility in their
conference next month.  Even if the browser is pwWebSpeak, speech
rendering of HTML wants more of a semantic-web approach to the
structure of the HTML data object than a page-layout-directive
approach.

Adobe is working on this for their next generation document
architecture.  BTW, lynx users in general might be interested in
the proxy service available at access.adobe.com which will break
the text and pagination of .pdf web pages down to HTML for you
automagically on the fly.

--
Al Gilman
;