Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Win32 Lynx

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Win32 Lynx
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:07:57 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:
>
> Ever look in the registry or win.ini?  Win95 doesn't actually use LFN's
> itself.  It is too stupid :-(

Chuckle... I presume this might actually be better in NT?  Maybe that's
why I've read that if you upgrade from '95 to NT you must reinstall all of
your software due to differences in the registry.

> > Second: If a shortcut is dragged and dropped on the Lynx image, it
> > actually opens the LNK file and not the target file.  Is this again a
> > limitation of Console mode?
>
> Look at it as a limitation to the method.  It is doing exactly what you
> asked.  Lynx is not DDE enhanced so it just looks at the filename WIn95
> gives it and goes.  Anyone know DDE programming?

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Win programming. :(

> > Third: While entering E:\test.html no longer crashes it, entering E:\ or
> > e:/ or file:///e:\ will.  The only way to get a directory listing is to
> > enter file:///e:/.
>
> I will test that.  I had fixed it, but it broke something else so I fixed
> that.  You know how it goes.

Yup, like my programs sometimes. ;)

> > ARGH, I still can't get Lynx to run my editor...
>
> > HTParse: Result:/users/student3/cosc/cosc0065/public_html/index.html
>
> Whooooa.  What exactly are you trying to edit?  I believe you are trying
> to do something I don't.  Edit works for me in writing an email.

That probably explains the miscommunication earlier on this.  I use E)dit
when viewing a local HTML file to pull the current file into an editor,
make changes, and then when I exit the editor, Lynx automatically reloads
the page, and re-renders it.  This is how I do 90% of my html creation.  I
use Lynx and MicroEMACS to create and view the pages, and I pull up
Navigator and/or Explorer to check both views.

Try viewing a local page with a unix version, and then hitting 'e' while
on that page.  Pretty nifty, huh?  Well, it won't work on Win32. :(  I'll
bet it's due to the leading slash as I showed in my earlier message.

*I* haven't tried sending mail or editing mail with it, and trying it just
now, it does indeed work with nothing more that "edit" in the Editor slot
on the Options screen... so, if we can get the local editing, I'd be
thrilled. ;)