Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Win32 Lynx

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Win32 Lynx
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 15:51:00 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, James Mastros wrote:

> Wayne Buttles wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:
> >
> > > How can I access a drive on another computer over the network. I don't
> > > have
> > > anything mounted as a drive letter, just shortcuts from my desktop through
> > > the network neighborhood stuff.
> >
> > Uhhh, how do you do it with Netscape?
> >
> > Man, you people are fussy ;-)

> I belive it would be file:////compname/share/path/to/file/name.html in
> Netscape (but I havn't been back to the terrible land of MS in a while).

> Passing the OS a filename like \\comp\share\path SHOULD work.

Yes, but there are some strange gotchas (at least with Navigator 3.01). To
get the windows path \\comp\share\ (that is, the "root directory" of a
share), you have to use file:////comp/share//, not file:////comp/share/ or
file:////comp/share. file:////comp/share/dir works fine. Of course, Win32
Netscape also uses file:///c|/path/file for the Win32 path c:\path\file.
Lynx should probably understand these conventions sooner or later.

;
;