LYNX-DEV US ADA & Lynx

From: Philip Webb
Subject: LYNX-DEV US ADA & Lynx
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 01:01:06 -0500 (EST)

i just came across this in my relentless reading of the list:

970310 Alan Cox wrote:
> Gregory Rosmaita wrote:
> > 3) that equal access is the law; that, if an ISP offers shell accounts,
> > then its failure to provide users with a text-based alternative that allows
> > them access to the web on a par with graphical browsers is a blatant and
> > untenable violation of the A.D.A.
>
> If you try that they'll just delete it and make it no access for all. Thats
> even quicker and teaches annoying law quoters to go away. Sorry but thats
> life.
>
> > handicapped-accessible without being in violation of the law, can you?
> > why, then, should ISPs be allowed to flagrantly violate the A.D.A by
> > neglecting their shell utilities?
>
> I see any no doubt you've asked microsoft to ship an equivalent free
> text only browser with windows95 in the USA ?

AD HOMINEM, i know, but apropos nonetheless:
the same could be said about efforts by Mr Cox -- & my ancestors --
to keep the Welsh language alive in an uncaring & once-hostile environment.

Americans take their laws very seriously -- even trying to export them
(sour grin) -- , so ADA is very solid ground on which to stand in the USA.

Right On, Gregory!

;