LYNX-DEV Lynx w/ (simple) ncurses colors

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx w/ (simple) ncurses colors
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 21:58:58 -0600 (CST)

Here is a description of my experience with Tom's code for ncurses color,
latest devel code on Linux.

Did anybody get Tom's ncurses-color to work correctly with an
ncurses version <= 1.9.9e?

Well it didn't work for me with 1.9.9e on Linux, the different color
combinations were displayed with the same background (the one from
COLOR:0). [ncurses 1.9.9e is the latest version commonly available in
Linux distributions.]

So I got ncurses 4.0 from <URL: ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/dickey/ncurses/>
plus all patches up to 970315, ready to compile ncurses for the first time
ever.  I used (after going through README and INSTALL)

  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-shared --without-normal \
      --without-debug --with-rcs-ids

(The first attempt had --with-gpm in addition to the above, but that gave
some conflict with an older libgpm when compiling progs/dump_entry.c.)

Everything went smooth, except for the nasty surprise that the header
files in /usr/include got overwritten by `make install.libs' - I really
wanted to keep the old version around!  (Everything else went under
/usr/local, as expected.)

Ok, I now have the (shared) libncurses file in /usr/local/lib.
I ran

  CFLAGS="-O2" LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib" ./configure --with-screen=ncurses

in the lynx2-7 directory. (This still needs a symlink
/usr/include/ncurses.h -> /usr/include/ncurses.h.  I could have also
omitted the --with-screen=ncurses.)
Then `make linux'.  No problems.

Result: I now have a Lynx compiled with ncurses that shows foreground
and background colors.

However, popup form fileds don't work correctly.  They misbehave
in the same way as when I compiled with ncurses1.9.9e:

The first ENTER lets the popup briefly, well, pop up in a flash,
then immediately disappear.  But pressing up- or down-arrow immediately
after that makes the selection list visible (as if it was really there,
just not shown.)  Moving the selection up and down within the list
then works normally, except that lines are first gray-on-black,
but black-on-gray after the selection (shown yellow-on-blue) has moved
over them.  This is all with the default colors (COLOR lines commented
out in lynx.cfg.)

Sorry Tom, slcurses still seems to be a bit ahead of ncurses.
(As far as Lynx is concerned.)

  Klaus

;
;