Re: LYNX-DEV PC lynx file access questions.

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV PC lynx file access questions.
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 10:09:19 -0700

Wayne Buttles <address@hidden> srites:

>OK, we have uncovered a number of quirks in how file:// access works in
>95.  I guess it is time to re-write the handler.
>
>Before doing that I need someone with NT to come forth and tell me how
>close things are to 95.  Two things come to mind right off: does "dir
>\\server\share\path" work in a dos box on NT and does NT have .lnk files
>for shortcuts.
>
>If NT uses .lnk files, could someone email one or two of them?  I am
>curious how they compare to 95s.
>
>One thing I found out, you can browse yourself by using your own server
>name.  Guess I never thought of that.  I also found that
>file://///server/share/path and just //server/share/path will work for
>subdirectories on 95 with lynx.  Pretty weird.

Wayne,

First off, this intresting note (in case you hadn't already noticed). With
Netscape, I can see C drive on my other system (it's the NT box) as

  file:////DS9/C-drive/HTML/Bookmark.htm

but with lynx I have to use

  file://///DS9/C-drive/HTML/Bookmark.htm

also, note that I can shorten the path to file://///DS9/C-drive/<something>
where <something> is either a file or a directory, but can not get it to list
the contents of the root directory. I tried ./, ., HTML/../ and HTML/.., but
all report "Alert: Unable to access document". Even on directories where I get
a link to C-drive, it is not usable.

Now, to your questions, yes, NT has .lnk files. I am not sure just how to
mail you one, but will try using netscape, a mailto url, and add it as an
attachment.

I tried the "dir \\server\share\path" on the NT box, and it does work. One
caveat though, I don't have things set up so I can see my W95 box from the
NT box, so I had to just look at local files using the \\server\share\path
stuff. It did work.

If the stuff I send through via netscape isn't what you need, let me know.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,