Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx w/ (simple) ncurses colors

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx w/ (simple) ncurses colors
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:12:17 +0900 (JST)

> > > Everything went smooth, except for the nasty surprise that the header
> > > files in /usr/include got overwritten by `make install.libs' - I really
> > > wanted to keep the old version around!  (Everything else went under
> > > /usr/local, as expected.)
> On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:
> > that's been the "default" behavior since 1.9.8a (I usually override it).
>
> It makes no sense to me.  If I force everything else to be installed
> under /usr/local/ with --prefix= (in order to not override the system
> version of curses/ncurses), I certainly don't expect the header files
> to be overwritten in /usr/include instead of in /usr/local/include.
> Please at least put an adequate warning in INSTALL and the output of
> ./configure --help.

I'd like to express a <STRONG> second </STRONG> to Klaus's comments,
and add that overwriting of system (bundled) files should NEVER be the
default.  (That's the very reason I have never installed ncurses as
root, and probably never will after hearing this.)

Since Lynx is in the process of being autoconf'ed, I hope it won't end
up being one of those applications that says you're going to `nuke' this
or that if you `make install *' [e.g., help/about directories].

__Henry
;
;