Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx_386 for DOS Bug Report (14 March 1997 version)

From: G. Del Merritt
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx_386 for DOS Bug Report (14 March 1997 version)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:31:29 EST

>> > Wayne, this probably should be "lynx.rc" or "lynxrc." in both the DOS and
>> > Win95 versions for safety's sake.
>>
>> I have seen more than one other unix port use _something as its rc file.
>> Does anyone have an objection to _lynxrc ?
>some systems have trouble with non-alphanumerics on the end or beginning
>of a filename (e.g., VMS).

The "_" and "$" are considered a "alphanumeric" for the purposes of
OpenVMS/RMS filenaming.  Use them as you wish, where ever you wish.

The "-" used to be problematic in older versions; to be honest, I don't know
what all the problems would be.  The issue is that the OpenVMS shell (DCL)
uses "-" as the line continuation character.  So the following would be
ambiguous to DCL:
        $ directory .lynxrc-

Well, it's not ambiguous to DCL; DCL will happily give you the want-more-data
prompt.  It puzzles some users, however ;-)  The "-" can also cause problems
even when embedded in the filename since it is also the DCL subtraction
character.  Usually the context of it's use precludes surprises.

--
Del Merritt                                                  address@hidden
IntraNet, Inc., One Gateway Center #700, Newton, MA  02158