Re: LYNX-DEV compiling lynx 2.7 on SCO 3.2v4.2

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV compiling lynx 2.7 on SCO 3.2v4.2
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 22:21:27 -0800

Mark Shadley wrote:

> It compiled fine with that, thank you.  Now, there's another problem...
> When I try to mail a document, sendmail complains:
>
>   Recipient names must be specified
>
> We had this same problem with 2.5, that's one reason I'm upgrading.
> I've tried '/usr/lib/sendmail -t'.

SCO provides two mail transport agents: MMDF and sendmail.  You might be
running either of those, or perhaps even a different one (such as smail
or qmail) that was installed locally.  First determine which one is in
use.  (The fact that /usr/lib/sendmail exists does not tell us anything:
pretty much all mail transports provide a program of that name, because
user programs like Lynx expect to find it.)

You can figure it out by looking for the "smtp" line in /etc/inetd.conf.
If this runs "/usr/mmdf/chans/smtpd", you are running MMDF.

If you are using MMDF, the standard Lynx Makefile entry "make sco"
should work.  If you're using sendmail, it probably won't.  You need to
edit the entry and remove "-DMMDF" from it.  I suspect that if you
remove "-DMMDF", it'll work with the other mailers as well, whatever
you're using.

Autoconfig people: currently Lynx allows the mailer to be adjusted in
lynx.cfg, SYSTEM_MAIL.  But it is used, in src/LYMail.c and LYPrint.c,
with some arguments added on.  Those arguments vary according to whether
Lynx was compiled -DMMDF or not.  It seems to me that SYSTEM_MAIL should
contain the mailer + arguments, or else there should be a separate
SYSTEM_MAIL_ARGS; then a recompile wouldn't be necessary to change
mailers.  Currently the SYSTEM_MAIL tunable is of limited use.

>Bela<
;
;