Re: LYNX-DEV lynx eats spaces in a link

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx eats spaces in a link
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:53:44 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> Anyone know of a command line program that can be given an argument of a link
> and which returns an encoded one?  I don't know all the hex codes for
> all the objectionable characters, so I didn't want to hazard a wrong guess.
> In fact, I was hesitant to even reply, since I wasn't sure whether a
> HREF label had the same restrictions and was unable to look it up at the time
> due to rushing off to a meeting.

I take this to mean you want a script which performs the %-hex-hex
encodings.  This simple perl command prints the %-hex-hex encodings for
all characters in standard input.

perl -pe 's/./"%".sprintf("%2.2x",ord($&))/ge'

Typical usage might be:

$ echo "filename" | perl -pe 's/./"%".sprintf("%2.2x",ord($&))/ge'

;
;