Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx setup.

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx setup.
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:37:05 -0500 (EST)

The question was:

  What is trace mode and how do I learn about it?

Some relevant info:

  Trace mode is a Lynx mode of operation where it generates
notification messages of lots of individual steps in the
processes it goes through.  This is particularly helpful in
isolating problems that have to do with the network communication
that Lynx does.

  Trace mode can be turned on and off with a toggle, normally
Control-T, as Lynx runs.  One can start the program with trace
mode on via the -trace command-line option.  These controls are
described in the User's Guide which is part of the online h)elp
reached with '?'.

  The part of using trace mode that is not well documented is how
to get this torrent of trace messages into a file instead of just
glazing your eyes with them.  There are good messages describing
how to do this with different shells and VMS archived from the
lynx-dev mail at the FLORA archive http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/
but I haven't scoured the archives to isolate the ones that are
most worth noting.

  If you are using Lynx via a dialup from a PC running a terminal
emulator, turning on logging in the terminal emulator is an
alternative way to capture the trace information as compared to
redirecting the output via the shell under which Lynx is running.

--
Al Gilman