LYNX-DEV HP-UX weirdness with 2-7ac0.28 solved

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: LYNX-DEV HP-UX weirdness with 2-7ac0.28 solved
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 20:26:37 -0500

Adding the missing -DUNIX from the make invocation for libwww
fixed the problem I reported a few hours ago with DIR being
undefined.  Someone fixed that a month or two ago, and it seems
it crept back in at some point to the devel code!

With gcc or cc I _still_ get sys_nerr and sys_errlist undefined
when it tries to build HTTCP.c ...

DECL_SYS_ERRLIST should be defined (it is in config.h) but config.h
isn't being included, because -DHAVE_CONFIG_H isn't on the compiler
command line, because it's in CFLAGS which the submakefiles clobber.

The generic, dgux, freebsd, and netbsd targets have
LYFLAGS=$(CFLAGS) -I../../.. $(SITE_LYDEFS)

Prepending LYFLAGS and MCFLAGS with $(CFLAGS) -I../../.. in the
snake3 target seems to "make things work."

So the snake3 target which works for me with ac-0.28 is:
snake3:
        cd WWW/Library/snake; $(MAKE) CC="cc" LYFLAGS="-Ae $(CFLAGS) \
                -I../../..  $(SITE_LYDEFS)"
        cd src; $(MAKE) all CC="cc" MCFLAGS="$(CFLAGS) -I../../.. \
                -O -Ae -DFANCY_CURSES -DUNIX \
                -DSNAKE -I../$(WWWINC) $(SITE_DEFS)" \
                LIBS="-lcurses -ltermcap \
                $(WAISLIB) $(SOCKSLIB) $(SITE_LIBS)" \
                WWWLIB="../WWW/Library/snake/libwww.a"

Any reason why this shouldn't be done for all the targets in the
ac code set?

One other little thing with the snake3 target -- HP-UX 9's unbundled
cc won't handle -O and -g together [although its optimizer is quite
nice].  It generates a warning for each invocation.  It'd be nice
if use of -g was a configure-time option.

Blah.  It'd be nice if ``we'' could simplify the current mess of makefile
stuff significantly.

BTW, lynx with color curses is neato.

--
Jonathan Sergent / address@hidden / address@hidden