Re: LYNX-DEV HP-UX weirdness with 2-7ac0.28 solved

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV HP-UX weirdness with 2-7ac0.28 solved
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 00:58:50 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> (what is "SNAKE"?)

I have no idea.  I'd love to talk to some of the people who originally
added the HP-UX targets.  Targets snake and snake2 say they are for
different OS versions, but I suspect that 9.01 and up needed the flags
that are added in the snake2 target, and old versions of gcc didn't put
them in while current versions do.  On every system I've ever tried with
9.01+, snake has worked, so I suspect that the Makefile should read
something like:

snake   HP-UX lt 9.01, HP-UX 9.01+ with gcc x.x.x+
snake2  HP-UX 9.01+ with gcc lt x.x.x

The result of using snake2 with current versions of gcc are warnings about
redefined symbols for EVERY file.  The symbols whicha are being redefined
are those 3 or 4 which are the only difference between snake and snake2.
Sigh... If it weren't for the autoconf stuff, I would suggest getting rid
of the snake2 target and pointing it at the snake target.

> I'm proceeding with makefile.in by testing the platforms that
> I know about, moving the -D's and other special options out of the
> logic into the configure-script's logic.  The ones I've hit are marked
> TESTED.  The 'snake' targets afaik are oriented around the ANSI compiler
> (I don't have that, but can make some guesses).  So they won't work
> with the configure script.

Well, the snake3 target is built around the ANSI compiler, but snake and
snake2 are gcc.  HP's cc assumes K&R unless you give it the -Aa flag or
one of the supersets (-Ae, etc.).

> So I built HP-UX last week by configuring, using the linux target
> (since it's the closest to being "clean").  Once they're clean, I'll
> combine targets, and try to get testers for the remaining stuff.
>
> > Blah.  It'd be nice if ``we'' could simplify the current mess of makefile
> > stuff significantly.
> that's my goal.

The goal is to entirely get rid of all the targets but one so that one can
just type 'make' instead of 'make snake' or whatever, right?

> > BTW, lynx with color curses is neato.
> which curses? (HP-UX 10.x has curses_colr, or was that ncurses?)

I think he said he was using a 9.x system, so I would assume slang or
ncurses.