LYNX-DEV Re: Accept-Encoding: gzip, compress (getting off-topic)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Accept-Encoding: gzip, compress (getting off-topic)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 16:42:07 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 22 Mar 1997, Hynek Med wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Mar 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > [These comments in addition to what Fote wrote]
> > Lynx has been sending "Accept-Encoding: gzip, compress" or (earlier)
> > "Accept-Encoding: x-gzip, x-compress" headers to all HTTP servers for a
> > long time, so in a sense you *have* been testing this.  Of course (as Fote
> > points out) this is not really negotiation.
>
> BTW, is this meant for HTML at all, as I originally thought? I looked at
> the page Klaus mentioned, and set up my old Apache (1.0) to encode .html
> with gzip, but it doesn't send the HTML document gzipped, as I would
> expect, it rather sends the raw HTML document, and lynx complains it can't
> gunzip it.

You seem to have some misunderstanding about what Apache does or does not
do, and probably need to read the docs more carefully.  As far as I
understand Apache doesn't encode anything on the fly (except maybe with
some special modules which could do that, or using CGI etc.).
"AddEncoding" is just about what response headers to send when
encountering files with certain filename suffixes.
If you make Apache send a file which isn't really gzipped with a

> Documents such as index.html.gz work right - downloaded,
> gunzipped and then HTML rendered.

Thre you have your answer to your first question - as far as Lynx is
concerned, it can treat text/html documents that are "gzip"-encoded right
when given the correct information.

> I downloaded new apache (1.2b7), and it behaves the same. Furthermore if I
> tell it to add the gzip encoding for both .gz and .html, it makes from
> a .html.gz file these headers:
[snipped]

What does it do by default if you don't use any "AddEncoding" or
"AddType" directives?  I assume that Apache comes with its own mime.types
file, are you using that?

  Klaus

;
;