Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx & image maps?

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx & image maps?
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 15:16:34 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Carolyn Andre wrote:

> Not a problem - but rather a question.  My ISP supports server-side image
> maps.  I know that Lynx can negotiate *some* types of image maps, switching
> to (I forget here) either the ISMAP or USEMAP code & displaying the links.
>
> Is there a help spot which describes which versions of Lynx support
> imagemaps, and which types of image map??

No version of Lynx supports server side image maps (ISMAP), because the
server hides the coordinate and url information from the browser.  Lynx
WILL send back either a coordinate of 0,0 or no coordinates if an ISMAP is
selected.  There are modified versions of the ISMAP scripts which will
send a list of links built from the coordinate map file for the most
popular servers.  If someone insists on using an ISMAP, they could make
the default (or 0,0) take you to a list of links.

Lynx 2.5 or 2.6 (not sure which) and up support client side image maps
(USEMAP).  Be sure to use an ALT attribute on the IMG used for the map as
well as ALT's for each of the AREA's used in the MAP to make it more
usable by text based browsers.  I think IE 3.0 will also display the ALT
text as a floating tool tip when you cruise the mouse over a USEMAP.

Keep in mind that the two are not mutually exclusive.  Your best bet is to
use both, and let the browser decide.  If the browser doesn't know how to
handle client-side, it will use the server-side.  If the browser can
handle client-side, it will do so, and provide more info to the user and
quicker (the URL appears on the bottom of the screen on a USEMAP instead
of a set of coordinates like on an ISMAP).

If you need more info on using ISMAP and USEMAP together, let me know, and
I can send you some samples.