Re: LYNX-DEV lynx to graphics

From: WHITLOCK
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx to graphics
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 16:36:15 -0600 (CDT)

"DNRC ACIC and SACEO of obscure acronyms, FFTG of STUPID" <address@hidden>
wrote:
> are there any known programs out
> there for dos,windows,or unix/linux that can utilize lynx to give graphical
> views of web pages rather than text only.

By using the "*" key (there's also a lynx.cfg setting to make it the
default), Lynx will place a selectable link on all the images.  You can
cursor to that link and hit enter/right-arrow, and Lynx will say it cannot
display the file, would you like to download it?  Answering yes takes you
to the download menu where you can download it to your PC.

From there, any program that can display GIF and JPEG files can be used to
view the downloaded graphic.  The comm program I use, ZOC for OS/2,
recognizes a download of a *.gif or *.jpg file and automatically starts
a viewer to show it as it's being downloaded.  (Anyone have the name of
DOS, Windows, Mac, C64 programs that do that?)

I've found that to be pretty convenient.  It only shows one graphic at
a time, though, not the whole page in graphic formatting.

  -- Brad Whitlock, address@hidden
;
;