Re: LYNX-DEV Client side validation

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Client side validation
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 00:25:15 -0500 (EST)

  From: "Travis R. Rogers" <address@hidden>
  Subject: LYNX-DEV Client side validation

  I'm interested in using Lynx in a business application, I was wondering
  if there was any "scripting" language which can be used within the HTML
  to do programming tasks such as client side validation of form fields?

  Possibly someone has already adapted Lynx to this purpose, if so please
  let me know...thx!

When you say "in a business application" I assume that you
control the Lynx installation that will be used as client.  In
this case, you can use the lynxcgi URL as the action of the
unchecked form, and give the Lynx a helper program accessed via
the CGI which will check the data validity rules and return a
page with an HTTP post as its action or else hints toward passing
the validity checks.

This could be as baroque as a PROLOG section in the initial page
defining the validity rules and a PROLOG gateway through the
lynxcgi.

Or if your types repertoire is small and the validity rules are
fixed, you could make this a tight little binary.

See also lynxexec.

--
Al Gilman
;