LYNX-DEV GZIP_PATH (Was: Accept-Encoding: gzip, compress)

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: LYNX-DEV GZIP_PATH (Was: Accept-Encoding: gzip, compress)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 06:26:28 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Hynek Med wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Mar 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > Of course, there would be a problem with systems where gzip is missing or
> > where the path to compress/gzip isn't correct - perhaps lynx should check
> > if gzip/compreses executables exist in the places it expects - surely
> > during the autoconfigure, and maybe even after starting lynx - if gzip is
> > missing, lynx shouldn't send that it accepts gzip-encoded documents.. (And
> Currently Lynx always sends the Accept-Encoding header because it
> assumes that gzip and uncompress are always available.  (In other
> words, GZIP_PATH and UNCOMPRESS_PATH are assumed to always be defined
> and point to the correct place.)  Maybe you can get Tom to add yet
> another test..

This is done in patch level "0.33".  Look in config.h after you run
configure to see if GZIP_PATH is set.  Configure is now set to accept an
environment variable, or go find gzip, as well as the other previously
hard-coded binaries.  Tom did this in the last few days; I still need to
finish the SYSTEM_MAIL test.  I suppose using an environment test at
runtime is also a good idea for cases where you get someone else's lynx
binary, or stuff gets moved.  (I'll put it on the TODO list).

The latest Lynx2-7 plus autoconfig plus the rest is now at:
http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/lynx2.7ac-0.33.zip

The TOD list is at:
http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/html/todo-list.html

------