RE: LYNX-DEV Lynx Bug (fwd)

From: David Hardy
Subject: RE: LYNX-DEV Lynx Bug (fwd)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:10:34 GMT

On 26 Mar 1997 14:27, Ronald Loneker Jr <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I just attempted to connect to a URL using Lynx and received a message
>>> that I encountered a bug in Lynx.  Speaking with our Academic Computer
>>> Center Director, I am sending you the following information.
>>>
>>> The URL:  http://www.umn.edu/mhec
>>>
>>> The Operating System being used by us:  UNIX
>>>
>>> The version:  4v3-1.1
>>>
>>> The TCP/IP implementation:  ???
>>> (I am using a IBM-compatible PC and dialing into our Computer Center
>>> using the Windows' (v. 3.1) Terminal program.)
>>>

>>> Then, the message was written:
>>> Lynx now existing with signal:  11
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>
>> Works OK with Lynx version 2.5FM running under OpenVMS 6.2. I wasn't using
>> Windows Terminal but I don't think that that would be the problem. The page
>> referenced by URL http://www.umn.edu/mhec contains some Java script which
>> Lynx
>> should just ignore but that's probably version dependant. Do you know which
>> version of Lynx you're using? (You can find out by starting up Lynx and then
>> pressing the '=' key.)
>
> I checked the version of Lynx as you requested - it's version 2.4.2.
>
> The bug error happened on each of the different links on the home page - I
> tried them all, thinking that there might have been a mistake by the
> person who created the Webpage...
>
> I've been using this version of Lynx frequently since last October, but
> I've never received this message before.

We still have Lynx version 2-3FM available but we never used version 2.4.2 so I
can't see if it works under the OpenVMS operating system. However, version
2-3FM does misbehave with the URL http://www.umn.edu/mhec, omitting some of the
text when the links are selected. This doesn't appear to happen with Lynx
versions 2.5FM or 2.6FM (we haven't installed the latest version - 2.7 - yet).
I'd advise trying a more recent version of Lynx - see URL
http://lynx.browser.org/ for where to get the current version.

I'm copying this reply to the LYNX-DEV list in case someone else can throw any
light on the problem.

David