Re: LYNX-DEV appletviewer and Lynx?

From: Ian McKellar
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV appletviewer and Lynx?
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 23:36:40 +0800 (WST)

To quote the mad ramblings of Louis-David Mitterrand:

> Is anyone working on making Lynx call the appletviewer whenever it
> encounters an <APPLET> tag?

Its about a 10 line hack which I implemented in an earlier version of lynx.
Unfortunately I don't really understand how the lynx source works, so whilst it
did work, it didn't fit the style. Basically as far as I can remember it
executed the following pseudo-code when it found an applet:
  if $DISPLAY is set then
    execute appletviewer http://the.current/url/  stdout,stderr > /dev/nul
  endif

this is somewhat lacking. If it found 2 applets in a page, it loaded
appletviewer twice. The poor Win32 people won't have $DISPLAY set.

What I would like is for someone who understands the Lynx source tree (do such
monsters exist) to implement this correctly.

Ian

PS: On an unrelated topic, there is a deoderant in Australia called
"Java Lynx" - I'm going to have to get some. To get to the "Java Lynx" homepage
just altavista for "Java Lynx".