Re: LYNX-DEV installing lynx for win95

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV installing lynx for win95
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 97 13:32:23 EST

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997 22:11:19 -0500 (EST),
Alice Pinard   <address@hidden> wrote:

>Hi, I have a blind friend who is having trouble getting his netscape to
>cooperate with his speech program so I thought we'd try seeing if the lynx
>port to win95 would work better... I  used winzip on it, set a STARTFILE,
>clicked on lynx.exe and .... the computer froze up.... um, what might I
>have done wrong? I tried reading the readme that came with the zip as well
>as one that was on the web page I got it from but neither mentioned
>anything that needed to be set in the lynx.cfg file or anything else....
>suggestions?

I assume he has a DOS screen reader for use in DOS sessions.  Most of
the Windows-only screen readers don't handle character-mode screens
such as those put up by that version of Lynx.  I don't have Win 95
yet, but use the Lynx 386 version and Bobcat successfully under DOS
with the Vocal-Eyes screen reader, plus using Lynx through modem and
telnet connections.  Generally when I talk to blind people about
access to the web, I tell them they have two choices:  If you want
RealAudio and other multimedia, then you have to use Netscape or MS IE
with a Windows screen reader, and put up with a lot of quirks.  If you
want the best possible access to the text from web pages, you use
either Lynx or PW Webspeak.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden

;
;