Re: LYNX-DEV DIRED-related bug fix

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV DIRED-related bug fix
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:50:10 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden wrote:
>Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>>[...]
>>But even with this patch there continue to be other problems
>>when trying to create a new file in an empty directory, then
>>remove it.  Lynx doesn't update its internal links for the new file,
>>so unless you go back up to the parent directory you can't remove the
>>new file.  And while trying to do something with this new empty file
>>I was able to get lynx to crash several more times.  Although
>>these instances haven't been easily repeatable.  If I have time I'll
>>try to track down these other problems and forward a patch to you.
>
>I could reproduce those, and think the appended patch is the right fix
>to prevent the invalid memory access.  It is already in the developing
>code available through <URL:http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/klaus/merged/all/>.
>[...]
>1997-03-27
>* In mainloop(), after the call to HText_pageDisplay() following a change
>  of the document view, ensure that curdoc.link does not remain set to -1
>  if there are any links on the screen.  This would otherwise happen if
>  a document is pushed to the history stack while there are no links, and
>  later popped (and refreshed) after one or more links have been created.
>  This change prevents segmentation faults which occurred after creation
>  of a new file in a previously empty directory via the DIRED menu.  The
>  access to invalid memory only occurred if the screen showing the empty
>  directory did not have a parent dir reference link (which is always the
>  case if NO_PARENT_DIR_REFERENCE was specified at compiliation time). - KW
>[...]

        An update of 27bugfixes.zip with this fix is available in:

        http://www.slcc.edu/fote/lynx/

        Did the 1997-03-26 change in the HTStream structure for
src/HTFWriter.c eliminate the segmentation faults when downloading
on linux.  If not, there must still be some memory management glitch
for linux which needs to be found in v2.7.

                                Fote