Re: LYNX-DEV (no subjectlynx_386 version unknown)

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV (no subjectlynx_386 version unknown)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:59:11 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> win32 lynx problems
>       I tried installing a package called lynx_386.zip along with ole32s.exe

win32 lynx is NOT the same as 386 lynx.  lynx_386.zip should contain ONLY
the 386 version.

> When I went into a dos window and tried running from the dos prompt
> under windows load error no dpmi came back.

Windows doesn't have dpmi?  I thought they all did.

> I get csdpmi3b.zip and extract that and try again.  The ole32s stuff has
> already successfully installed according to that game that came with the
> package

Game?!  There should be no game in that zip file.

>  This time load error packet driver not found I'm running windows 3.11
> for workgroups

Now we are up to the real issue.  Lynx 386 isn't going to do you any good
in Windows.  It was created for the hard-core dos users.  Unless you
wanted to use it to validate local pages then I don't think you will get
much use from it.  You can fake the packet driver by getting slip8250 or
something like it and loading the packet driver witout actually connecting
to anything, but you can't surf that way.

The Win32 version will only work with 95 or NT.  This is because it uses
wsock32 and console mode to behave like a windows aware dos program.  I am
not sure that lynx would work compiled for regular windows since it relies
on 32bit variables.  There were just too many missing pieces (for me) to
introduce a regular windows port when I did the Win32 port and integrated
DJ's 386 changes.

Sorry to not be more helpful.  There may be a magic trick to cetting one
of the two working with Windows 3.x but I can't immagine what it would be.

Wayne

;
;