Re: LYNX-DEV NNTP puzzle

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV NNTP puzzle
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 19:44:58 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> In attempting to access a particular site, I discovered that the site's
> NNTP service was not currently availab.e.  However, there was a bit of
> peculiar output during the trace and after looking at HTNews.c I can't
> quite figure it out.  Here's the important part of the trace:

[ snipped some ]
> Alert!: Can't read news info. News host genetics.upenn.edu responded: 421
> NNTP service is not availa
> Alert!: Can't read news info. News host genetics.upenn.edu responded: 421 NNTP
>
> HTAccess:  status=-500
> Can't Access `nntp://genetics.upenn.edu/perl.porters-gw/'
> HTAccess: Can't access `nntp://genetics.upenn.edu/perl.porters-gw/'
>
> Alert!: Unable to accessUnable to access document.
> ----
>
> The puzzle is that even though the response itself is a NNTP 421 response,
> the status was set to a -500.  However, the code in HTNews _looks_ like the
> status should be the value 421.

The puzzle to me is why you would be puzzled.  Maybe you are noo looking
at the same code; the code I see looks like this:

                if (((status = response(NULL)) / 100) != 2) {
 /* ................ irrelevant lines omitted .................. */
                        if (retries < 1)
                            continue;
                        sprintf(message,
                  "Can't read news info. News host %.20s responded: %.200s",
                                NewsHost, response_text);
                        return HTLoadError(stream, 500, message);
                }

There isn't any return(status) in there.

I think you wouldn't like the outcome if HTLoadNews() *did* return 421.
See the bottom of HTLoadDocument() in HTAccess.c.

   Klaus

;
;