Re: LYNX-DEV More detailed description of my slang problems..

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV More detailed description of my slang problems..
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 16:10:44 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Hynek Med wrote:

> It's kind of hard to describe.. If you have lynx+slang on Linux console (a
> while ago I tried the newest slang - still the same), and look at for
> example www.naf.cz/arachne, there are "links to the world". These are in
> normal color, with their names/descriptions in bright. Now. Suppose you
> are at the Linux link. The link is reverse, the Apache link bellow is
> normal.  Then you press an arrow down, now you see that Linux link has
> changed its color to bright, but it was normal originally (sorry, I have
> only mono monitor at home), and the Apache link is reverse. Then you go to
> the Altavista link, and you see that both Linux and Apache are bright,
> though they were normal originally.  When you press ^L now, Linux and
> Apache are normal again.

You are using "reverse", "normal", and "bright color" (??? I thought you
are using a mono screen?) to describe what you see, in various states.
Let's compare that to some parts of my description in
Please see there to read the notes!

Lynx usage (a)      Abbr.  approx.style function call or Macro used to set
========            ----   ------------ ----------------------------------
normal text         Norm   {N}          standend()
markup emphasis(b)  Emph   {U}          start_underline()
link (c)            Link   {B}          start_bold()
link in emphasis(d) EmLk   {U+B}        start_underline(),start_bold()
selected link       Sel    {R'}         start_reverse()[,start_underline()]

First note that <URL:http://www.naf.cz/arachne> has an unclosed <I>
somewhere before those links you chose as examples.  So the attribute
style which I abbreviate as "Norm" doesn't enter the discussion at all -
"Emph" is in effect throughout the relevant section.  That also means
that the (not selected) links in that section will initially be "EmLk"
and not "Link".  Now read note (d).

Let's correlate that with your description:

Lynx usage          Abbr.  approx.style What Hynek Sees
========            ----   ------------ ----------------------------------
markup emphasis     Emph   {U}          ??? "normal"
link                Link   {B}          "bright" (see note (d)...)
link in emphasis    EmLk   {U+B}        "normal"
selected link       Sel    {R'}         "reverse"

I filled in the "normal" after ??? - you didn't say so, but I assume
that's what you mean, that the surrounding text is "normal" to you,
otherwise you would have mentioned it.

Now let's look at the relevant lines from the next table:

            simple-mono curses-mono curses-mono-UL slang-mono  slang-color
 Emph {U}    S           U           B              U           U+COLOR:4
 Link {B}    S           B           U              B           COLOR:1
 EmLk {U+B}  S           U+B         U+B            U+B         U+COLOR:5
 Sel  {R'}   S           R           R              U+R         COLOR:6

Your Lynx is compiled with slang.  Whether the slang-mono or the slang-color
column applies depends on whether the slang part of lynx recognizes your
console as mono or not (you may be using -color or have an inappropriate
COLORTERM or TERM or terminfo in effect).

I make the assumption that slang-mono is in effect.  We then can conclude
that you see the U display attribute as "normal", the B attribute as "bright",
the combination U+R as "reverse", and the combination "U+B" as "normal".

Why? I don't know.  That is the domain of a terminfo description (to tell
lynx/slang what escape sequences to send) and of the console driver and
hardware (what to do with them).

Do something like the following line:
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ;do echo -e $i:'ABC\033['$i'mDEF\033[2'$i'mGHI';done
to see what atiiribute your console (in its current mode) is able to display.
(1 should be bright, 4 underline, 7 reverse on any vt100-linke terminal.)

You should be able to use SVGATextMode to enable real underlining for mono
monitors - see the docs.

Use infocmp (or the untic that comes with slang) to check your terminfo
description.  See what it has for "smul".  Modify if appropriate and compile
with tic.  This requires some man page reading but is not rocket science.

   Klaus

;
;