Re: LYNX-DEV No more "** Bad HTML!! No form action defined. **"

From: Hynek Med
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV No more "** Bad HTML!! No form action defined. **"
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 00:22:46 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> That cannot possibly do what you want.  Your code is equivalent to
>
> +           if (FALSE)
> +           {   /* This will never get executed */
>
> Hint: strcmp() returns 0 if two strings match.

Uh. It was my first bit of C after the "hello world" program. :-)

> > With this patch, when lynx is about to assume an ending of a tag, it first
> > checks if it's an A or a FORM, and if so, it just ignores it instead of
>
> Well I am not an SGML geek, but I think you probably mean "...assume the
> ending of an element", or "...assumen an omittted and tag".

Lynx sometimes says in the trace log:
Found </B> when expecting </A>. </A> assumed

I meant this by the "assuming".

> > assuming their ending, so we don't lose the most valuable information. So
>
> In effect your checks whether an element still open when a non-matching
> end tag encountered is both a FORM and an A (which of course is never true),
> and ignores the end tag in all other cases...

It should rather be FROM neither A. Too many ANDs, ORs and NOTs for me.
:-)

> I assume YOU have not used "-trace to diagnose", you should do that before
> thinking about how to make Lynx tell other users what to do... :)

It looks so. :-)

> I am just pointing one flaw in your code, I am not saying that it would make
> sense after changing that...

Well, my idea was - don't lose <A> or <FORM>, lose some other tags, that
are less imporatant. Of course, these 'less important' tags could make a
mess in the rest of the document.. But links and forms will work, or at
least work better than now. I don't know if this is the right way to solve
the problem, either.. I wonder how other browsers do it.

Hynek

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden

;