Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx for MS-DOS -Reply

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx for MS-DOS -Reply
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 16:57:27 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, David Godshall wrote:

>  | I understand LYNX is available for older 8088 & 80286 machines
>  | and I'd like information on those versions.  I didn't see
> DB>
>
> Not quite.  Lynx itself is available in 386 and Windows 95 versions,
> but not fully available in 80286 and lower.  What *IS* available for
> those platforms is Bobcat, which is based on slightly older Lynx code
> but with some minor pieces chopped out and other pieces hacked in so
> it would work.

I think somebody should put up an explanation, in a *prominent* place
(or several places), like the following:

<H1>DosLynx, 386 Lynx, Win32 Lynx - What's The Difference??</H1>
<UL>
<LI>DosLynx - <STRONG>NOT</STRONG> a version of Lynx.
    Development has stopped.  Not recommended.  Use Bobcat.
<LI>386 Lynx - [brief explanation, free of technicalities.  Use if...]
<LI>Win32 Lynx - [brief explanation, free of technicalities.  Use if...]
<LI>Bobcat - [What it is.  And that it is more like Lynx than DosLynx.]
</UL>

Settle on specific names (e.g. Win32 Lynx OR Lynx W32 OR lynx_w32 OR
"Win32 version") and use consistently.

Otherwise there'll be no end of confusion... At least to me the
terminology was non-obvious, and I think recent questions show that this
is also the case for others.

  Klaus

;
;