Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Helping lynx users

From: Collin Forbes
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Helping lynx users
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:14:40 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Glenn E. Thobe wrote:

> J. Random User out there doesn't necessarily want to sign on to lynx-dev
> and get 30 to 40 messages per day just to report a bug, so maybe lynx-bugs
> could be configured to accept postings from non-subscribers.

But who would read lynx-bugs?  The bug report messages we usually see are
either the user/administrator using a lynx several versions behind, or a
non-technical user not familiar with lynx internals who is not able to
relay the necessary information needed to identify the bug.

The 'solution' for the first kind of bug report message would seem to be a
different approach in the 'you may have found a bug in lynx' message.
Give the version, and a reference to http://lynx.browser.org/ with
instructions to go see if they are still using a recent version before
submitting their bug report.

;
;