Re: LYNX-DEV Sending active link/page URL to print/download ?

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Sending active link/page URL to print/download ?
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 05:03:43 -0500

>I was wondering if Lynx could forward URLs to a program (webget in this
>case) so I could stuff it in the background and continue browsing with
>Lynx ?

As far as I am aware, lynx has no current ability to pass a URL to a
program to use.  The easiest place to provide one is as it tries to print
or download a file.

Here is a feature that I would _love_ to see provided.  In the utility
code used to provide PRINT, DOWNLOAD, and UPLOAD capabilities, add to
the environment of the shell that is used to execute the [PDU]* commands
the variables:

LYNX_URL        - URL being processed
LYNX_TMPFILE    - temporary file name being processed
LYNX_BESTNAME   - suggested file name

In this way, instead of the traditional code suggested for assigning %f's
to variables, etc. users could directly use the above variable names.

P.S.  At one point, I thought someone was going to add a section of the
MAN page and help documentation listing all the different environment
variables which are used by lynx in any way.   Did that not materialize?
That, as well as a check to make sure all the #if/#ifdef/#ifndef variables
are documented some place seems like a very useful step.
;