Re: LYNX-DEV patch generation doesn't change userdefs.h

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV patch generation doesn't change userdefs.h
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 11:42:51 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim) wrote:
[about <URL:http://sol.slcc.edu/cgi-bin/lynx/patch-o-matic.cgi>]

> It seems that the patch-o-matic generator script does not change the
> version string in userdefs.h because of how Klaus has set up the
> checkout of that file.  So until this is corrected, be sure to
> update the version string to the one actually "patched to."

from the PRCS docs:
  "Normally, diff canonicalizes keyword instances in the files it
   compares, removing the keyword values and leaving just the keyword
   name. As a result, two different versions of a file that differ only
   in their keyword values will compare as equal.  The `-k' option causes
   diff to compare keyword values as well."

Testing shows that this makes the comparison untolerably slow.
Is this really needed?  Maybe we should go back to plain old
  #define LYNX_VERSION "2.7"
(The bugfixes-only versions in the repository still have that,
since they are identical to Fote's code.)

Or just put a warning on the page, Jim?
or some more post-processing with sed :)

  Klaus

;
;