Re: LYNX-DEV Saving files with Content-Encoding=gzip or compress

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Saving files with Content-Encoding=gzip or compress
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 15:18:28 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Hynek Med wrote:
> Using the patch-o-mat (which is great, BTW, I specially like the "Output
> compression" thing), I found that lynx saves the file, which was
> transferred compressed and then decompressed by lynx, still as .gz. This
> isn't IMHO logical, because the file isn't compressed anymore..
> So here's my suggestion: when saving a file, which was sent compressed
> with Content-Encoding, drop the trailing .gz or .Z, and perhaps change
> .tgz to .tar, too.

I'm confused.  How did lynx decompress the file :-)?  I guess that is a
local option, because the tests I ran with "d" for download have given me
a gzipped file every time (at least after it started working).

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Come on then; let's get this over with as soon as possible.

;
;