LYNX-DEV Bug report

From: Mark Costlow
Subject: LYNX-DEV Bug report
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 18:50:53 -0700

Hi, I've run into some pages which lynx can't seem to handle.  The symptom is
that when you try to submit a form, you get the message ** Bad HTML!! No form
action defined **  One such page is
http://www.careermosaic.com/cm/amd/amd12.html

I've reproduced the problem with lynx 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7.1.  Lynx 2.4 works OK
with that page, and I've been told that 2.2 does as well, so it looks like the
problem was introduced with 2.5.

I've narrowed the problem down to a small case (I'll append a small HTML file
that illustrates it at the end of this message).  Running this with
"lynx -trace" leads to the following:

SGML: End   </TABLE>
SGML: Found </TABLE> when expecting </FORM>. </FORM> assumed.

The page in question contains this sequence:

        <form>
        </form>

The interleaving of the form and table elements seems to be what's causing the
problem.  Lynx is apparently interpreting the first /table as a /form and
prematurely "closing" that form, so that the submit button ends up dangling off
the end with no action to use.  In the sample HTML below, if you remove the
/table, lynx is able to submit the form.

If there's a better address to send reports like this, of if you need any
further information, please let me know.  Thanks,

Mark
--
Mark Costlow            | Personal Contact:      | SWCP Information:
Southwest Cyberport     | Mail:  address@hidden | Mail: address@hidden

               "Education is never a waste" - Viscount du Valmont
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<title>Test</title>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<H1>Lynx table/form test</H1>
<TABLE>

<FORM METHOD="GET" ACTION="http://www.whatever.com/something";>
<INPUT

<INPUT TYPE="RADIO" NAME="thing" value="thing1">Thing 1
<INPUT TYPE="RADIO" NAME="thing" value="thing2">Thing 2
<INPUT TYPE="RADIO" NAME="thing" value="thing3">Thing 3

</TABLE>

<INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="Submit">
<P>
<INPUT TYPE="reset" VALUE="Clear Form">