Re: LYNX-DEV ISMAP/USEMAP alt text

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ISMAP/USEMAP alt text
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 12:06:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

> Can anybody think of a reason to keep the [ISMAP] legend on the
> screen if a USEMAP has been furnished in the web page?  I would
> agree with Hiram that it's best it just vanish if there is a
> USEMAP that Lynx can use.

The reason that it is kept is that it points to a different URL than the
USEMAP does.  The USEMAP points to a fragment (theoretically could be an
external document, but as of Netscape 3.01, external USEMAP references
don't work), while the ISMAP points to a map file.  If you completely
remove it, you end up with a link that can't be followed.  99% of the time
it would be pointless to follow the link anyway...

On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> I suggest that it should still be shown if
>
> *           IMAGE_TOGGLE  toggle handling of all images as links
>
> is in effect.  (That would mean that '*' toggles on-or-off *two*
> additional links in this case.)  Just on the principle that if there is
> some kind of link, it should be accessible with Lynx (even if it's not
> wanted in _most_ cases).

I thought of that, but the link is actually to the .map file and not to
the image itself.  If you use the current behavior, and toggle images on,
you actually get something like:

    [IMAGE]-[ISMAP]-[USEMAP]

If you allow the ISMAP to be toggled with images, you'd have 2 links to
toggle on/off...