Re: LYNX-DEV How to make a PREV_LINK URL...

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV How to make a PREV_LINK URL...
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 22:09:30 -0400 (EDT)

  From: "Palmer King (SCFN)" <address@hidden>

  On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

  >   Is there any way to create a URL in a document
  >   which would return the user
  >   to the previous link?
  >
  > Why?  Would you expand a little on the scenario in which you
  > would want this?  At present you can put the plain text legend

    SCFN is currently a menu based system which activates lynx to display
    local and remote files/web pages. We are preparing to move to lynx
    as the primary presentation manager, and need to deal with "culture"
    shock for our 8000+ patrons. As part of the transition, we want to
    provide each information page with a "return to menu" reference until
    the user adjust to lynx being the menu control as well as the www
    browser.

For a given information page, is there a single menu page that they will
have come from, or will they wind up at one information page by links
from a variety of menus?  If "the menu" that you return to from a given
page is always the same, then you can use a static href in a normal link.

So you must take them to the same place from multiple menus.
The way I see this done by others, is that if there are multiple front
pages for a common information web, they have multiple "return to"
links in the navigation region at the foot.
        [Return to <menu topic A>] [Return to <menu topic B>] etc.

    Of course, we can work around it, but, if it can be done, we believe
    it would help our users through the transition.

Given that the browser will be the Lynx you install, you could [I
believe] do this with some modification of Lynx.  What I am
thinking is that it would be done in the HTML with an URL of the
lynxprog: scheme.  You define a reserved lynxprog: URL and map
[by an undetermined amount of coding] this reserved URL to the
built-in PREV_LINK command.

I myself am not qualified to say home much coding that is, and I
suspect you should not do it.  The information pages should have
a variety of navigation links at the foot anyway.  If the
navigation buttons are marked off with [] and there is an entry
parallel to them except that it is set off with () and says
(press the left-arrow key to return to previous menu) or simply
(left-arrow goes to previous menu) I think that the 8K+ will
catch on pretty well.  If this instruction appears where they, by
acculturation, would expect a menu entry, and it is set off with
some sort of distinctive marking to set it apart from the rest,
...what do you think?

--
Al Gilman

;