Re: LYNX-DEV HELPFILE definition

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV HELPFILE definition
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 14:51:38 +0900 (JST)

>   figure out the syntax.  Does anyone have an example of pointing to a
>   file rather than a http?
>
> You don't have to touch userdefs.h to do this.  Leave that with

You don't have to use userdefs.h, but if you like to keep lynx.cfg
as small as possible, you might want to compile your STARTFILE,
HELPFILE, and INDEX right into the binary.  Personally I prefer
to set everything at compile time, so I offer these examples:

#define STARTFILE "http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/ldev.html";
#define HELPFILE
"file://localhost/home/nelsonhe/.lynx/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html"
#define DEFAULT_INDEX_FILE "file://localhost/home/nelsonhe/.lynx/src.html"

These compile-time defines can be _overridden_ in lynx.cfg, so you can define
`fall back' URLs in lynx.cfg and keep them commented out until such time as
you want to use them.  This use is convenient if, for example, you know your
startup URL is going to be down for a while, you can uncomment the one in
lynx.cfg until such time as you have WWW operating again.

> Question: Does the "localhost" have to be spelled out at this
> point, or can the legal URL as follows be used:
>
> HELPFILE:file:///usr/local/lib/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html

At least on Unix (SunOS4.1.3), you do not need `localhost'.  The following
in lynx.cfg will expand to the same URL:
STARTFILE:file://localhost/home/nelsonhe/.lynx/Books/eng.html
STARTFILE:file:///~/.lynx/Books/eng.html

Maybe my leaving it in is overkill, but when I start abbreviating things
I always mess them up.

__Henry
;
;