Re: LYNX-DEV Re: #38 -- another quickie

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: #38 -- another quickie
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 15:40:35 +0900 (JST)

> > conformance details etc. will understand.  Otherwise people will *expect*
> > ncurses-color for lynx to work with their version of ncurses.  Not an

I apologize if I step on anyone's toes, but in the past, to get color
with ncurses you had to compile with -DCS AND be using a terminfo database
file that supported color.  As such, people on lynx-dev should not expect
color to come automatically with ncurses anymore than with slang.

> > unreasonable expectation since many color programs *do* work with
> > ncurses1.9.9e or similar.
> to refresh my memory (and to see how bad the color combinations get),
> I just built a copy of Lynx with 1.9.9e:
>
>       it dumps core during initialization

Not sure what this indicates.  Is the latest development Lynx code broken
against ncurses1.9.9e?  As late as Sept. 1996 I had lynx2-6FM working quite
well using ncurses1.9.9e with Rob's character styles applied.  Colors
worked more than satisfactorily.  Other reports indicate that ncurses1.9.9e
was supporting lynx2-6FM with color into January 1997.  What ncurses did
you use, Jan Hlav\'{a}\v{c}ek <address@hidden>, when you
succeeded in patching Rob's code into lynx2-7?

I guess what I'm saying is, if Lynx users need to vote, then I vote
for backward compatibility, i.e., ncurses _at least_ back to 1.9.9e.

Knock, Knock!  Are you there, Rob?  If we ever needed you it's now.  Don't
be such a perfectionist!  If your styles enhancement is working at all, put
it in the pot!

__Henry
;
;