Re: LYNX-DEV HELPFILE definition

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV HELPFILE definition
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 12:16:19 -0500 (EST)

Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden> wrote:
> Al Gilman wrote:
>> Question: Does the "localhost" have to be spelled out at this
>> point, or can the legal URL as follows be used:
>>
>> HELPFILE:file:///usr/local/lib/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html
>
>At least on Unix (SunOS4.1.3), you do not need `localhost'.  The following
>in lynx.cfg will expand to the same URL:
>STARTFILE:file://localhost/home/nelsonhe/.lynx/Books/eng.html
>STARTFILE:file:///~/.lynx/Books/eng.html
>
>Maybe my leaving it in is overkill, but when I start abbreviating things
>I always mess them up.

        Since this thread is continuing...

        The host field, with an actual string for the host, is required
in file URLs.  So the suggested URLs without it are invalid.  I added
code to deal with it's omission (i.e., to insert "localhost" as the
default and make it valid before actually using it, as you and Al would
see in the showinfo report if you look there after using the invalid
URL syntax 8-).  That was done as "error recover" to cope with what
has become of the Web since its crass commercialization, and it might
NOT be a good idea (at least, IMHO) to recommend invalid syntax to new
Lynx users.

        The relevant URL RFCs and IDs have long been accessible via
the online 'h'elp.  It is worth the investment of time, IMHO, to
read and understand them, particularly by the regulars who offer
help to new users.  Just as suggestion...

                                Fote