Re: LYNX-DEV I need your Browser

From: Doug Lawson
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV I need your Browser
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 20:38:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Lincoln County Library wrote:

> I read PCWORLD MAY 1997 pg.274 they said your browser will work on an
> 8088 pc with 640k mem can you tell me if this will work. Please reploy
> to address@hidden

I think that the PCWorld article was probably referring to the fact that
an 8088 (or even a weaker computer) may be used to access an ISP who
provides lynx to shell accounts.  If you live in or near Maryland, you
may connect to the Sailor Network (local call from everywhere in the
state) to try it out.  Any public library in the state can give you
information on connecting to Sailor.

You'll need a computer, modem, and comm software capable of emulating a
common terminal, such as vt100 or vt102 (most comm software does that).

Possibly, the author of the PCWorld magazine had something else in mind -
commercial computer mags are pretty bad when it comes to reporting the
facts about lynx, or any other freeware.  (It seems to me that they don't
report things so much as they reprint press releases from the commercial
vendors.)

Doug Lawson
Sailor Programmer
410-396-5551