LYNX-DEV Autoconf problem on Ultrix/GCC

From: Hynek Med
Subject: LYNX-DEV Autoconf problem on Ultrix/GCC
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 15:46:18 +0200 (MET DST)

When I tried the latest deveolopment code on Ultrix, it had the problem
that though configure found gcc, it still used MCFLAGS="-Olimit 600",
which is valid for the Ultrix CC only, and makes gcc stop with an error.
The problem started after compiling the lynx sources, WWW library got
compiled right with gcc -g -O2. If you need more details just ask me.

By the way, just -Olimit 600 isn't that good for the Ultrix CC either:

     -Olimit num       Specify the maximum size, in basic blocks, of a rou-
                       tine that will be optimized by the global optimizer.
                       If a routine has more than the specified number of
                       basic blocks, it cannot be optimized and a message is
                       printed.  A -O, -O2, or -O3 must be used to specify
                       the global optimizer.  The argument must also be
                       specified. The argument num is interpreted as a
                       decimal number.  The default value for num is 500
                       basic blocks.

So, you rather need -O -Olimit 600 for the Ultrix CC..

Hynek

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden

;