LYNX-DEV minor prob (either bug or gateway prob) with lynx 2.7/2.7.1

From: afn23950
Subject: LYNX-DEV minor prob (either bug or gateway prob) with lynx 2.7/2.7.1
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 21:41:44 +0200 (MET DST)

Minor prob (well, not minor based on what I need to test) that I hope you
can help with...

Lynx 2.7 and 2.7.1 are, at least on the system I'm building on, not
wanting to connect successfully to any HTTP ports that are "nonstandard";
is giving time-out errors.  Connects to the "standard" port 80 of other
sites just fine.

I know this system is behind a firewall, but it hasn't caused problems so
far with other programs being ported (ncftp, etc.) nor does it cause
problems with "standard" HTTP ports, so I'm guessing that it is either the
firewall or (more likely) an odd misconfiguration or other in Lynx.

I may try compiling with the SOCKS library (need to doublecheck if it
exists here) to see if that helps...

Proxies are not an option as one of the services I need to get to via a
"nonstandard" HTTP port is a news server that has its login on port 89
(this is where I first noticed the problem when it timed out on connects);
the server lets you in its firewall by noting where you are at.  (This
server, once this bug is fixed, is to be used for testing of tin and uqwk
ports.)

As to software/hardware; OS is OSF/1 3.2, hardware is a "Gigabooster" (in
essence, seven DEC Alphas in parallel).  Will try to forward info on
firewall if needed to solve the problem.  (Compilation for OSF/1 stuff
goes normally, btw; usually, ports are a breeze. :)

-wtf (nyar!)

;
;