Re: LYNX-DEV error recovery for form parsing

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV error recovery for form parsing
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 20:17:37 -0500 (EST)

Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>Anyway, my friend who is running the formhack version found a page with
>bad html that is still bad with the formhack.
>However, I don't see anything wrong with the trace.  (At least there are no
>"Found this when expecting that" errors.
>
>The url is  http://www.comptime.com/nisbet/trivia.html

        It's incredibly bad HTML, using FORM without an ACTION
(probably without the author understanding that it therefore
defaults to the document's own URL) to use TEXTAREA and SELECT
without intention of a submission.  It preceeds each SELECT
with a FORM start tag, but does not have FORM end tags, which
technically makes them embebbed, which is illegal.  It presumeably
does what this author (in sore need of an education about HTML)
wants with whatever browser he/she is using.

        You won't get "Found this when expecting that" messages.
That's the whole point of the hack -- to not make expected end
tag substitutions for FORM end tags.  You do get a slew of:

        HTML: Missing FORM end tag. Faking it!

TRACE messages, as you should.

        I guess the fact that Lynx doesn't crash of FORM markup
that awful is a good test of the FORM hack. :) :)

                                Fote