Re: LYNX-DEV Long-Term Migration

From: Phil Helms
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Long-Term Migration
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 01:48:44 -0700 (MST)

Klaus Weide (KW), Al Gilman (AG), and Foteos Macrides (FM)
have written:

KW> A remark closer to the original remark starting this, whether it is
KW> "unfortunate" to make Lynx's parsing more like Netscape(et.al.)'s:
KW> People should keep in mind that there are real costs involved in
KW> "enhancing" Lynx's "robustness"[*] by way of more and more
KW> special-case hacks which override the originally structured design.
KW> Fote mentioned the increased difficulty in implementing new things
KW> which require a structured parsing of HTML (e.g. stylesheets).
KW> Another part of the price to pay is that the code becomes more and
KW> more obscure, therefore more error prone and raising the initial
KW> barrier for new would-be hackers/developers.  It's a self-limiting
KW> process: finally Lynx development will come to a halt when there is
KW> nobody left understanding the code. :-)
KW>
KW> Now if you [anybody] have an idea how to make Lynx more
KW> Netscape(et.al.) compatible (a.k.a. Un-HTML compatible) in a new,
KW> structured way that doesn't bear those costs, and without sacrificing
KW> correct treatment of valid markup, let's see it.

AG> I interpret this question to be rhetorical.  The discussion on
AG> this point in the past has usually conceded that if one were to
AG> make a clean break with the current code and design a replacement
AG> browser in a more modern programming paradigm, it would be easier
AG> to combine tolerance and maintainability.
AG>                           .
AG>                           .
AG>                           .
AG>                                                . . .  The present
AG> ball of twine is, as many have noted, suffering from strain
AG> hardening and getting more intractable the more it gets patched.

Considering all of the above, it might be time to start thinking about
a redesign of Lynx.  Failing that, it may be that eventually further Lynx
development will be pointless, since it will have lost its user base.

It's not unusual for long-lived systems to undergo radical revisions
during the course of their lives.

KW> [*] essay about use of the word "robust" when comparing Lynx with other
KW>     programs omitted, for brevity and mercy with the reader...

I wouldn't mind receiving the essay.  You can send it to me directly if
you wish.

FM>     Guard against the trap of thinking that you can know reliably
FM> what was intended by bad HTML, and making mods based on particular
FM> cases encounted

A point worth remembering.

Cordially...

 --
 Phil Helms                                  Internet: address@hidden
 Community College Computer Services                    Phone: 303/595-1524