Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx/PC terminals - help wanted

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx/PC terminals - help wanted
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 15:11:08 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Scott McGee (Personal)) wrote:
>Warning! This post is Lynx related, but not development related and does
>ask some non-Lynx questions. Be gentile with any flames.
>
>I got given a project yesterday. I have to look into two different ways to
>solve a problem we have here.
>
>We used to have dumb terminals hooked into our VAX that were used to display
>information regarding student's records (classes, grades, etc.), but the
>software was less than desirable, and the VAX has just been replaced with
>and Alpha that will NOT be serving this application.
>
>We have a web based solution already in place, so the idea originally was to
>replace all the dumb terminals with networked PC's running Netscape. The
>concern was that they didn't want people surfing the web with them. I was
>asked to look at the situation and try to find some answers.
>
>My very first thought was to NOT replace the dumb terminals, but to hook
>them to something (the Alpha maybe, our web server possibly, something else
>more likely - ideas welcome) and run Lynx with some restrictions to not
>access off-site URL's. (Anyone want to share any experiences or How To's with
>me?)

        The simplest way to do it is set up a student_records branch
in your server's data tree and set up CAPTIVE accounts on your AXP
which invoke Lynx via:

        $ lynx -realm http://www.slcc.edu/student_records/

and logout on quiting from Lynx.

        If you do use the AXP, you are better off also setting up
the OSU DECThreads http server (freeware via: ftp://osu.edu/
also distributed by DEC on its CDROM).  It is far more efficient
and has far more extensive and effective security provisions than
your Netscape-Commerce/1.1 http server.

                                Fote