Re: LYNX-DEV Extra space in redirect

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Extra space in redirect
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:18:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Brett Bendickson wrote:

> A user recently complained about not being able to access
> http://spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov/ from Lynx. It works fine in Netscape.
> Using lynx -trace and comparing it to a local site with a redirect, it
> looks like they have a typo in their redirect. Specifically, Lynx
> attempts to redirect to
>
> ' http://spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov/home.index.html'
>
> instead of just
>
> 'http://spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov/home.index.html'
>
> The site has been contacted, but would it be possible to just have lynx
> remove the leading spaces? What would be correct from an official spec
> perspective?

Definitely Lynx is wrong here.  The response header which is being sent is
perfectly legitimate:

Location:  http://spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov/home.index.html

In HTTP header syntax multiple spaces have just the same meaning as one
space, and Lynx should not trip over this.

And, surprise, it doesn't, at least not in recent versions.
So I assume this report was about an old version.

  Klaus

;
;