Re: LYNX-DEV highlighting bug in color slang version

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV highlighting bug in color slang version
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 10:45:19 +0900 (JST)

[...]
> a bit longer for (an up-to-date version of) Rob's character style code,
> which should give a more general improvement of color behavior.

     A general comment on Rob's character styles that I'd like to bounce
off the list.  E-mail me directly if you don't want to clutter the list.
I'm just soliciting ideas on how to solve what I see as a potential problem.

     If the character styles are incorporated into the mainstream code,
which thanks to Klaus seems well in the works, a fairly detailed
description of the STYLE statements presently (there was discussion of
the wisdom of having them there) in lynx.cfg will have to be produced.
I'm not volunteering because I don't have the vaguest idea how all those
STYLEs interact.  The number of permutations seems endless.  A seemingly
simple change can turn your screen into a virtual nightmare of more red
on blue, bold half this and dim half that, and black on black than a sane
person could imagine.  What I'm saying is that if a number of irresponsible,
or more politely, overworked sysadmins install a faulty (gaudy) STYLEs list,
lynx-dev is going to be swamped with requests for help on how to set their
own colors.  In addition, if the ncurses library is used, and the physical
terminal is an oddball, then tweaking of the terminfo database file becomes
an inseparable part of the problem.

     As an example, I offer this real-life experience.  I changed a bunch
of STYLEs (so now I'm not exactly sure which one did it; I think STATUS),
and when I left Lynx, one of my terminal types remained white on blue
background, where it normally would be white on black.  Neither sending
ansi escape sequences to reset the color, nor the unix `clear' command
solved the problem.  I had to source .login to reset the terminal.  Since
it didn't happen on all physical terminals, I see such a problem as
particularly pesky.

     I welcome friendly discussion on this topic, but again, it is a
special interest of mine, so consider whether you want to post or write
to me personally.  TIA.

__Henry
;
;