Re: LYNX-DEV UCdomap.c in lynx2.7.1oldRP+wb+ct-0.2

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV UCdomap.c in lynx2.7.1oldRP+wb+ct-0.2
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 21:57:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> First, let me say *THANK YOU*, Klaus, for incorporating Rob's
> old character styles patch into the development code.

To clarify, I have not "incorporated" Rob's code into the development code
- only merged it with some of the devel code changes since 2.7.  That
"some" turns out to be "everything except Tom's stuff" (unless I missed
something).  But it is a separate code set from the "main line" of the
devel code (which I define for the purpose of this message as "what
appears on <URL:http://sol.slcc.edu/cgi-bin/lynx/patch> as 'Our current
patch level'", currently 2.7.1ac-0.*).  Further changes may be only made
to that "main line".  (I may apply changes also to that oldRP stuff if
it's simple to do, or I may not.  The others will probably also not
update the oldRP stuff.)

[...]
> Unfortunately, I couldn't use your chartrans features because
> gcc2.7.2 hung up in UCdomap.c (see below for what I was able
> to capture off the screen).

Well, thanks for trying... :)

> Because I didn't understand the
> problem, I deleted CHARTRANS_OBJS from src/Makefile to get a
> succesful compile.  Sorry.

This is good to know because it shows that the chartrans code can be
easily disabled, and Lynx still works.  I normally don't test this.

> If it matters, this is on sunos4.1.3.

I think you were able to run an earlier incarnation of the chartrans code,
was that on the same system?

It is puzzling that you could not compile.  The only change I am
aware of in that code that could make a difference is that Tom has since
"K&R-compatibility-macro"ified the code.

> Klaus, there were 10 or so lines of error messages before these.

Unfortunately, the first messages may have been the more revealing ones...

I would very much appreciate if you could try it again and see if it still
fails, and try to capture the first error messages.  What happens when you
go to the src directory and just compile that one file?
(`make UCdomap.o'.) You could also try to use the non-autoconfig Makefile:
`make -f Makefile UCdomap.o'.  Maybe you have to set some environment
variable before trying, like CC=gcc.

  Klaus

;
;