Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 20:53:59 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Sat, 12 Apr 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>>      I updated fotemods.zip in:
>>
>>      http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/patches/
>>
>> 1997-04-12
>> *  Fixed a typo under case HTML_IMG: of HTML_start_element() in
>>    HTML.c with the serious consequence that it can cause memory
>>    corruption if a BASE element is present in markup with an IMG
>>    or OBJECT element that has a USEMAP attribute.  This fix is
>>    needed in all versions of Lynx since v2.6. - FM
>
>Could you point out what was that typo?  I can't distinguish your changes
>introduced on 1997-04-11 from this one since I didn't make a copy of your
>1997-04-11 files, and would really like to understand this.

        I didn't save it either so I can't post a diff.  This should
be enough for you to locate it under case HTML_IMG:

[...]
        if (map_href && strchr(map_href, '#')) {

            /*
             *  Check whether a base tag is in effect. - FM
             */
            if ((me->inBASE && *map_href == '#') &&
                                         ^^
                (temp = HTParse(map_href, me->base_href, PARSE_ALL)) &&
                *temp != '\0')
                /*
                 *  Use reference related to the base.
                 */
                StrAllocCopy(map_href, temp);
            FREE(temp);

            /*
             *  Check whether to fill in localhost. - FM
             */
[...]

        The "==" indicated by the cartas is "!=" in v2.7 and v2.7.1,
and I presume all the devel code sets as well.

        Such a horrible consequence of such a small typo, sigh...
It took me a long time to track that sucker down, so I still haven't
responded to other questions directed to me recently, but I'm going
home now to enjoy my vacation. :) :)

                                Fote